Joel represents clients in complex litigation in federal and state courts throughout the country. Joel has extensive experience representing clients in high stakes financial litigation. He has successfully represented numerous clients in a broad range of cases, including ERISA, securities, civil RICO, False Claims Act, consumer protection and pharmaceutical matters.
Joel has also represented pro bono criminal defendants who cannot afford counsel, and has handled cases for the American Civil Liberties Union and handled a case for the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers before the United States Supreme Court in Vermont v. Brillion, 556 U.S. 81 (2009).
SuperLawyers named Joel a Rising Star in business litigation for Missouri and Kansas for 2016-17 and Washington, D.C. for 2014-15.
Prior to joining Schlichter Bogard & Denton, Joel worked in commercial litigation for a large firm in Washington, D.C.
- J.D., with high distinction, University of Iowa College of Law, 2008; Order of the Coif
- B.A., with honors and highest distinction, University of Iowa, 2005
- District of Columbia
- State of Illinois
- State of Missouri
- U.S. District Court, D. Colo.
- U.S. District Court, S.D. Ill.
- U.S. District Court, E.D. Mo.